Rendition of new library

Rendition of new library
The New Point Roberts Library Out of the Old Julius Firehall

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Whatta Kid!


As regular readers know, I'm working pretty hard these days on raising funds for renovating the old Julius Firehall and thus turning it into the New Point Roberts Firehall Library.  Today, as I was closing down some activities for the summer fundraising campaign, I was given an envelope containing $31.00.

With the envelope was a note explaining that 11/year-old Jacob Clifford had gone door-to-door in Sunny Point Park on Gulf, asking people to participate in a 50-50 donation draw.  Somebody in Sunny Point got $31 and the other $31 went to the library building fund.  

I'm grateful for every dollar, every quarter that everybody has given us so far and will give us in the future.  But this summer, I have been particularly knocked out by two little girls who ran a lemonade stand to raise money for the library, and now, to Jacob Clifford who thought up and executed the 50-50 donation.

The library of course is building kids every day. The library in my home town probably did more to build me than the school system did, at least for the ten years after I learned to read.  Which is why I'm working to rebuild this library.  But to have kids working to build the library?  I'm impressed by those kids.

What can I say?   Thanks hardly seems enough, but I don't think any of these kids need a tax receipt.  And I don't even have Jacob's address.  So if you see him, if you know him, tell him thanks, from all of us.  

(cross-posted at getthewholepicture.blogspot.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment