Several pieces of good news on the new library front:
1. We have 95 people who have Stood and Been Counted! (That's $1900 and then, doubled with the matching gift, it's $3,800.) It's still a long way from 1,000, but we are working to contact more people directly which is the way it most successfully happens. We'll have someone at the used book and new plant sale this coming Saturday (18th May) at the Community Center (10-2) and hope to raise that number. You, too, can help by encouraging friends and neighbors and even family to be sure to get to Sterling Bank or the library to make the donation, and then get the button. Those who are away can mail a check (made out to FOPRL) and mail it to FOPRL, Box 970, PR, WA 98281 and we'll put an "I Gave" button on reserve for them for when they do get back to the Point.
One person wrote me that, upon hearing of the need for more $20's, she had written her sisters-in-law and her adult children, urging them to get the money to her and she would collect their buttons for them. That's participation! Twenty for a library is so little for so much!
2. The past two weeks, in addition to the $3,800 from the Stand and Be Counted event, we have received a generous $3,000 donation from a local resident, and a $10,000 donation from Westshore Terminals. All $10,000 donations will be doubled (up to $100,000) and this is our fifth such donation this year. Sooo, in a very short space of time, our donation totals are up almost $27,000, to an overall total of $194,000. The $10,000 donations do not need to be from individuals, but could be from a group (homeowners association? extended family? community organization?) and can include previous donations (although only new money is matched). Thus, if someone/some group previously gave $5,000 and now gave another $5,000, the new $5,000 would be matched and the giver would be included in the Founders' Circle for permanent recognition.
3. We are nearing the end of the raffle ticket sales for the "Improvisations in Red" quilt. We are selling only 40 tickets total on this exotic quilt and there are currently only 10 tickets left. We'll be doing the drawing by the end of the month in any case. The quilt (for your viewing pleasure) will be on display at the Community Center this Saturday during the used book sale (10-2) and tickets will be available. Tickets are $25. It's a one-of-a-kind piece.
4. In June, we'll be working on "Piece" of the Library Prayer Flags. You can get a flag for a $5 donation ($2 for kids 12 and under), you can decorate it and then sign your name on it, and we will display them all throughout the summer on the big wall of the soon-to-be new library. Fly high those flags! Many of them!
5. If you have any questions about any of this, write me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy late spring early summer to you all,
for The Friends of the Point Roberts Library